Saturday, September 6, 2008

Real Estate Investing : Question About Land Trusts

Good Morning:

I received a question this morning concerning my last post on land trusts, so I thought I would post it with my answer for the benefit of all my faithful blog readers.

Be well,

James Gage

Q: Do we have to have an attorney represent the trust in case of any legal disputes or can we represent properly the land trust in California?

A: It depends on what the legal action is about. For example, if it's an eviction then the trustee can defend or bring the litigation to the court on behalf of the trust. If on the other hand it is a civil or criminal action against the trust I would use an attorney to represent the interests of the trust; keep in mind the engaging of an attorney on behalf of the trust is a responsibility of the trustee.